Are we the right service for you?

Before you make a referral it is important to read our general criteria (below) as well as any specific criteria for the clinical service you are referring into. If you decide to make a referral please include as much information as you can with regards the presenting issue.

Once a referral has been received into our service, one of our experienced practitioners will review the information you have given us to determine the most appropriate service for support. This may or may not be CHUMS, in which case you will be given contact details of the relevant service. Please note that whilst we will do our best to support you as soon as we can, there is currently a waiting list for our services.

There are varying age-range criteria for our services according to location.


We are an emotional wellbeing service, which can help children and families who are experiencing mild to moderate mental health difficulties, by offering short term support. This may include the following:

  • Anxiety
  • Low Mood
  • Bereavement


Please be advised that we are not an emergency service. If you are at all worried that the difficulties experienced by you or the young person referred may be getting worse, please seek immediate support via:

  • Your GP
  • Samaritans – Telephone 116123
  • Childline – Telephone 0800 1111
  • Accident and Emergency (if you feel that you/the young person is likely to self-harm or attempt to take their life)
  • Contacting 111 (option 2)

Where two people have parental responsibility but live in different homes, we recommend that both parties are aware of any referral being made. However, CHUMS will accept appropriate referrals from either parent.

There must not be any unresolved legal issues or issues being investigated by social care. Where there is an ongoing court case, professionals and families should be advised that it is better to refer once the case is concluded. CHUMS does not mediate residency and contact arrangements. Parents should be advised to approach the family mediation service or discuss with a solicitor. CHUMS will not be involved in any legal issues in relation to parental separation. Court reports should be commissioned by solicitors or from professionals who work on a private basis.